Giving is born from love, as God demonstrated his love for us by giving his one and only son Jesus Christ.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.(John 3:16 KJV)
Why should we give
- The main reason we should give is because God gave, he gave us breath that made us to live.
And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.(Genesis 2:7)
- he gave his son so that we would gain everlasting life and many more things.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.(John 3:16)
Whom should we give to and what are we supposed to give?
- to God : * Our hearts and life.
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.(Matthew 22:37)
*Tithe, we are supposed to give back to God ten percent of our harvest/money/salary and we give back to God by giving in his house/church. Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, That there may be meat in mine house, And prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, If I will not open you the windows of heaven, And pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. (Malachi 3:10)
*Thanksgiving and offerings
I am obligated by vows to You, God;I will make my thank offerings to You.For You delivered me from death,even my feet from stumbling,to walk before God in the light of life.(Psalms 56:12-13)
2. to our Neighbours, brother/sister, parents and any human being : those who have are supposed to share or give to those who don’t have, as children of God we must not let anything hinder us from going good. 15 But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not †charitably. dDestroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died. 16 Let not then your good be evil spoken of: 17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost (Romans 14:15-17)
How should we give
- We are supposed to give with a cheerful and pure heart. Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. (2 Corinthians 9:7)
- in secrete. whenever, therefore, thou mayest do kindness, thou mayest not sound a trumpet before thee as the hypocrites do, in the synagogues, and in the streets, that they may have glory from men; verily I say to you—they have their reward! (Matthew 6:2)